Lab 10: Second Order Circuits
Lab 10 will come from the published version of the lab manual.
Suggested Pre-Lab Activities
Completing the following activities before attending lab will save you time during the lab session.
Lab Manual Errata
The following are known errors in the lab manual corresponding to lab 10.
- Page 127 should say “v(t)/R + i(t) + Cdv(t)/d(t) = 0″
- Page 128 should say “Qualitatively sketch the output (voltage measured across the load resistor) waveform…”
- Page 131 should say “Qualitatively sketch the output waveform that results when the input drops from 10 V to 0 V.”
- Page 137 should say “18. (b) vC(0) (initial voltage drop over the capacitor).”
- Page 138 should say “25. (b) vC(0) (initial voltage drop over the capacitor).”
- Page 139 should say “32. (b) vC(0) (initial voltage drop over the capacitor).”
The following parts of lab 10 have been modified from the published version of the lab manual.
You are going to need help with the homework, particularly questions 18/25/32. This is NOT a regular parallel RLC because of the parasitic resistance of the inductor and the load resistor. You will need to derive KCL/KVL equations to determine the equation from which to find i'(0). This is not a cookie-cutter circuit and will not be using cookie-cutter equations. Talk to me if you’re not sure what’s going on!
Watch/read the following resources prior to attending this lab. This information will teach you how to use lab equipment and provide suggestions and technical tips for successfully completing the lab.
- Textbook: Sections 7.2 and 7.3
- Video: Breadboard
- Video: Function generator
- Video: Oscilloscope
- Video: Tabletop multimeter
- Video: LRC meter
- Website: Digi-Key 4-band resistor color code calculator
- Infographic: Using a potentiometer as a variable resistor
- Infographic: Connecting common circuit components to a breadboard
- Infographic: Using equipment with Earth ground