Lab 11: Filters
Lab 11 will come from the published version of the lab manual.
Suggested Pre-Lab Activities
Completing the following activities before attending lab will save you time during the lab session.
Lab Manual Errata
The following are known errors in the lab manual corresponding to lab 11.
- Page 145 and 148: The figures on these pages are all captioned (a). Each figure on the right should be labeled (b).
The following parts of lab 11 have been modified from the published version of the lab manual.
- Pre-lab questions 2-5: Use only a single available resistor and single available ceramic capacitor value to obtain a cutoff frequency within 10% of the desired frequency. Consult the inventory of parts to see what resistor and capacitor values are available. Do not use values like “3,192.85 ohms” in the pre-lab! (Note: it is not possible to get within 10% of the desired frequency for every capacitor value, but is possible for many, if not most, of them.)
- Circuits 3 and 4: The capacitor values of C3 and C4 must be no greater than 10 nF for these circuits to work properly!
Watch/read the following resources prior to attending this lab. This information will teach you how to use lab equipment and provide suggestions and technical tips for successfully completing the lab.
- Textbook: Section 9.2
- Video: Breadboard
- Video: Function generator
- Video: Oscilloscope
- Video: Oscilloscope triggering
- Video: Tabletop multimeter
- Video: LRC meter
- Website: Digi-Key 4-band resistor color code calculator
- Infographic: Connecting common circuit components to a breadboard
- Infographic: Using equipment with Earth ground